My husband, like most men in Europe at the moment, is consumed with the 2016 European Football Championships. My country Scotland did not qualify. Instead I am supporting my adopted country of Belgium, who did qualify. We have some friends coming round to watch the game and I wanted to make something ‘Belgian’ to eat while watching the match. Why not Spéculoos Cupcakes?
Speculoos is a traditional Belgian spiced biscuit. In Belgium they are served with coffee, or made in the form of Saint Nicolas in December, but you also get Speculoos spread to have on your toast, or Speculoos themed desserts in restaurants. Essentially, the Belgians love Speculoos!
Belgium are playing tonight – why not make some Speculoos Cupcakes. I promise you will enjoy them whether you support Belgium or not!
For the Cupcakes:
- 125 g of eggs (approx 2 – measure out two eggs, and use the exact weight of the eggs, for the stork, flour, and sugar).
- 125g of Butter
- 125 Self-Raising flour
- 125 g Caster Sugar
- 1/4tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp of vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp of Speculoos Spice Mix (if you cannot get this, you can make your own by following this recipe here).
- Into a mixer, place the ingredients in this order: sugar, flour, eggs, butter. Mix for 1 minutes. (If you do not have a mixer and you are doing it by hand, first cream the sugar and butter together until white, then add the eggs, then the flour).
- Add the Baking Powder, Vanilla Essence, Speculoos Spice Mix and mix for another 30 seconds.
- Place papercups into your cup cake tray, and distribute the mixture evenly into the papercups.
- Bake at 170°C Fan oven, or 190°C non-fan for 20 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
For the Buttercream Icing:
- 4 egg yolks
- 160g of Caster Sugar
- 70ml of water
- 140g of Butter (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp of Speculoos Spread
- Slowly heat the water and sugar in a pan until it is 118°C.
- Beat the egg yolks in a mixer until white. As soon as the sugar syrup is ready, slowly add it to the egg yolks while the mixer is turning. You should be pouring it in a slow trickle, ensuring it trickles down the side of the bowl.
- Continue to mix until the mixture is cold.
- Add the butter and mix.
- Add the Speculoos Spread and mix in.
- Place the Icing into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
- To finish, sprinkle with crumbled Speculoos biscuits on top.